Hardshell Protects your Precious Assets from Birds
Humane Avian Damage Control
California Pistachio Growers have a NEW option to effectively control crop loss to birds for the 2021 season. Hardshell Labs offers a proven-effective service that keep ravens and crows away from pistachio orchards for the weeks running up through Fall harvest. A high- and low-tech toolkit/network will be deployed in grower’s orchards, along with Hardshell personal – boots on the ground as needed. This is an in-orchard service contract relationship, not an equipment sale. 2020 was a successful initial commercial season for Hardshell Labs in pistachio orchards, and only limited capacity remains for this 2021 season.
Hardshell Labs has developed field-tested, humane solutions to control bird damage to valued assets. Hardshell Labs has extensive field experience managing and preventing predation by ravens or crows of endangered species, such as the Desert Tortoise and Sage Grouse, and is exploring applications of its proven protection services in the areas of: landfills, waste management, dairy operations, ecological habitat protection; as well as shielding other high value agricultural crops. The company specializes in understanding and developing novel processes and technologies for agricultural, commercial and conservation applications.
Animated Explainer Video
• Limited capacity remains for 2021 season for pistachio orchard protection service in Kern and San Bernardino Counties •
• Hardshell Labs is accepting inquiries for 2022 season •
• Do you understand, have you measured your pistachio losses to ravens and crows? •
• Ask if your orchards might qualify for a free Hardshell Labs Bird-crop-loss Field Survey to be conducted in 2021 •
Avian damage happens when birds:
- Eat things we don’t want them to
- Inhabit places where we don’t want them
- Damage infrastructure
- Act as disease vectors
Hardshell Labs is working on three types of humane solutions to these problems:
- Changing bird distribution by driving them from sensitive areas or those containing high value assets
- Reducing overall bird numbers
- Altering bird behavior, principally their dietary choices
- Hardshell Labs’ biologists bring a deep understanding of bird behavior and the problems they cause to envision possible solutions.
- They work with our team of highly creative engineers to apply existing technology in novel combinations, resulting in new devices to address those problems.
- Field testing follows, to assess the effect of the devices and to refine their designs.
- Our business officers then develop commercialization strategies to bring these solutions to market.
- Explore the site for more detail on specific problems and the state of Hardshell’s solutions to them.